At the beginning of 2017, ya girl said I DO! That’s right everyone, I am officially married… to myself. You’re probably thinking that this announcement sounds quite absurd and narcissistic but if you think about it, it’s a simply a statement of self-love. In your darkest times, you learn the most about yourself, as fucked up as that sounds. You spend minutes, hours, days and even years analyzing moments where you felt used, disrespected, manipulated, and vulnerable. All feelings that you would think make you feel worthless when really, they happened so that you could grow from them. One of the many things I’ve managed to learn about myself this year was that I always had a fear of being vulnerable for I always thought of it as a weakness. Little did I know that this weakness of mine was preventing me from being my true authentic self and also caused me to miss out on numerous opportunities. From there on I made the decision to accept things the way that they are and to stop living in emotional fear not only with myself, but with my friends and family. To help me become more at peace with my true being, I wrote out 10 commandments of self-love in my journal before putting that shiny rock on my ring finger. The ring symbolizes the reminder to put myself first in terms of my health, mental health, goals, and energy. Once you master the art of self-love, you can begin to admire, uplift and support those around you. Have a look at the 10 Commandments of Self-Love that I wrote to myself. By the way ya’ll, the ring was $6 from Ardene. Chill.
Camille’s 10 Commandments of Self-Love
1. Promise to love thyself unconditionally.
2. Understand that I do have flaws.
3. Promise not to let my insecurities consume me.
4. Understand that real beauty comes from within (it is not external).
5. Will not let the opposite sex degrade or disrespect me
6. Will not waste my time with no wasteman.
7. Put me, myself, and I first.
8. Remind yourself that you are a bad gyal! In a good way!
9. Stop changing who I am for others just to get approval.
10. The only time I will take this ring off is when a man appreciates me and loves me and my and flaws as much as I do.
Disclaimer: Just because I wrote these 10 commandments does not mean that I am shutting down being in a relationship with a man. I know it will happen but for right now, time to put myself first.
Be sure to leave a comment below with your methods of self empowerment =)